Some of you may suffer from low blood pressure or “hypotension” that causes only mild symptoms like dizziness when standing. But, others suffer from hypotension with serious symptoms that requires a visit to the doctor in order to address the primary health cause and give the appropriate treatment.
If you suffer from the first type of hypotension, the goal will be to raise the blood pressure through lifestyle modifications in order to prevent and reduce signs and symptoms.
Here are some suggestions that you may follow:
- Add more salt to your meals. But be aware that excess sodium can lead to health problems such as heart failure. That’s why it’s preferable to check with your doctor before increasing the salt in your diet
- Aim to drink more water, 8 to 10 cups daily. It will help to prevent dehydration and increase blood volume
- Follow a balanced diet by including all food groups in your diet plan : whole grains, fruits , vegetables, fish and chicken
- Eat small meals several times a day in order to prevent low blood pressure after eating
- Drink coffee or tea in order to increase your blood pressure. Always check with your doctor before increasing caffeinated beverages since too much caffeine may cause some problems
- Avoid long periods of inactivity and try to exercise on a regular basis
- Get up slowly after sitting or lying down. For example, when you want to wake up in the morning, try not to get up quickly, breathe deeply then slowly sit up before standing
- Avoid crossing your legs while sitting
- Avoid standing for long period because such situation may trigger hypotension symptoms
- Check with your doctor about using compressing stockings which can apply pressure to your lower legs in order to move blood throughout your body
Always remember that normal blood pressure in adults is less than 120/80 mmHg. Hypotension is defined by a blood pressure that is lower than 90/60 mmHg